Top 10 Interview Tips
Wednesday, November 4, 2015
Interviews can be daunting at the best of times, but if you follow these simple tips, your chances of getting that dream job will be much higher. And don’t forget, that your social media profile can give an employer an impression of you even before you get to interview, so make sure you are selling yourself in a positive light.
- Get to the interview early, if you're not sure how to get there, do a dummy run the day before. Better to be 15 minutes early and relaxed, than on the last minute and flustered.
- Research the company and appear interested in working for them.
- First impressions matter – always dress appropriately for an interview - if in doubt, dress up rather than down.
- Body language is important! Make eye contact with the interviewers and smile.
- Try to anticipate from your CV what questions the interviewer might ask, and practice your answers.
- At interview, give examples of how you have achieved positive outcomes, be clear about your specific role.
- If you're not sure what a question means, ask them to clarify rather than trying to answer when you're not sure.
- Many people speak too quickly when they're nervous. Make a conscious effort to slow down, stay calm and in control.
- Think about questions you would want to ask at the end of the interview, but don’t just ask about pay, holidays and perks. It's good to ask about things like training and development opportunities.
- Thank the interviewers, give the impression that you really want the job and that you look forward to hearing from them.